Wednesday 28 August 2013

Driving In Addis Ababa

Well getting my licence did not prove to be that difficult thanks to Paul's driver Robel.  Robel went to the Ministry with my documentation in hand and waited and waited and waited.   Once it was his turn the actual churning out of the licence was relatively quick.  I have no idea why it would take a day and half to be served, but all the same I was extremely appreciative that I was not the one doing the waiting.  The Ministry issues you  the licence, but you then have to go have it laminated as who would willingly want to repeat this whole process when the licence falls apart? So the lamination took another day and by Thursday Paul brought home my shiny, new Ethiopian licence.

The next step in the driving process would now involve real life road experience.  Yes, Dorothy we're definitely not in Kansas and after my first road test I seriously wondered if in fact we were actually in a place that even had the first clue about driving.  I should qualify that.  Ethiopians do know how to drive, they just have no record for road rules and driving etiquette.  Paul wisely suggested we drive on the weekend as the roads are not as crowded and it would help ease me into the Ethiopian driving experience.  We went out to do our Saturday shopping with me behind the wheel.  It was wonderful having Paul there, not only as a sanity check, but also for his coaching and navigational skills.  We have downloaded Ethiopia to our Garmin GPS, but it's still helpful to have someone else in the car interpret some of the instructions being given in an Aussie accent. What I find amazing in Addis are the number of U-turns one makes to reach one's destination.  It's just a built in sixth sense that you will need to be prepared to do a u-turn or two.  No one gets fussed when you hold up traffic waiting for an opening and it only gets dicey when more than one car tries to make the turn at the same time.  I was thrilled to say that on my first day on the road that I successfully made 4 u-turns, was forced to parallel park (well sort of if you can call it that and still be 3 feet from the curb), navigated 3 traffic circles and went through numerous intersections that at times had a traffic cop, as traffic lights are almost non-existent.

We went driving on Sunday and though the roads were not too crowded I still had to be very vigilant. The rule of driving is to always be aware to the car in front of you, coming up beside you (lane lines are arbitrarily ignored), or attempting to t-bone you because the right away depends on whose nose is out the furthest.  No time for day dreaming or idle chitchat, or perhaps, not until I develop more confidence. So after my first weekend of driving I claim success; Paul is still willing to drive with me and I am still willing to drive!

Tuesday I decided to try driving solo.  I needed to go to the Tanzania Embassy to inquire about travel Visas. Trying to call the Embassy proved to be very frustrating, so I decided to drive.  I chose to go around 1 pm so that rush hour traffic (Toronto has NOTHING on Addis) wouldn't be a problem.  The Embassy is only around 2 kms, but it felt like 12.  It involved going through an intersection, but fortunately there was a policeman semi-directing (semi confiscating licence plates) traffic and then an inevitable u-turn.  Then I had to park, but fortunately I was saved the humiliation of parallel parking by being able to drive forward into a spot.  I was immediately approached by little boy who offered to wash, clean my windows or guard my car. I smiled and said I wouldn't be long.  I went into the Tanzania Embassy and seriously, the Canadian Embassy could take some decorating tips from Tanzania.  It's a nice, stately place, not plain and industrial,  like the Canadian Embassy.  Anyways spoke with reception and was given the information on Visas, including the application forms.  As I approached my car the little boy came running over to assure me that he had successfully "guarded" my car.  I gave him 1 birr and this promptly got the attention of his four friends who I can only assume helped him with his guard duty.  The value of 1 birr is so small for a ferenji (foreigner) and yet it elicits such smiles from the recipients.  You can't help but feel like you've done some good.

I continued my journey home and arrived  feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment.  This driving thing will not be as bad as I thought as long as I limit my driving to off peak hours and I learn to think and drive more like an Ethiopian and less like a ferenji. 

2 Licences have to be better than 1, right?

Put the licences away, you're supposed to be driving

Careful, more road hazards to follow!

Seriously, can you say asphalt??

12 12 Yo!  Could this BE a better Licence Plate Number?

3 comments:

  1. YAY MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a BRAVE woman, so proud of you for all your driving craziness! haha i laughed about the little boy guarding and the last photo with lexi by the car hahahhha, she has to be in every post eh?

    love you and miss you lots! literally this was a "cool story bro" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - your HAIR IS LOOKING GUREAT

      Delete
  2. Hahahahhah at the license plate number! What are te chances?!?! And agree with Alice about lexxie being mentioned in every post. Keep em coming mama bear sounds like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete