Sunday 8 September 2013

Addis NGO Bazaar

Since my arrival in Ethiopia I have had to "adjust" to the lack of shopping opportunities.  For those who know me well, is there any finer way of spending a weekend than shopping till you drop and then shopping some more?  No need to get bogged down with rational thoughts like: "Do you think you can fit any more clothes in your closet?" or perhaps Doris's favorite "Shoes? Did some one say shoes?" or "What do you mean, do I really "need" to buy more?" or "Seriously, doesn't everyone always need more?"   Oh, how I miss those careless, frivolous shopping weekends in Toronto and Watertown. But alas, I have not allowed geography to quell my shopping spirit. I've simply adjusted and opened myself up to new shopping needs. Paul just shakes his head in bewilderment.  Fortunately, my "joy of shopping" for Paul is simply a foible and not a fatal flaw.  He views shopping as a "necessity", but clearly we differ in the interpretation of necessity.

I experienced my first bazaar last weekend at the Addis NGO Bazaar. I was not disappointed.  This is a monthly bazaar, held on the last Saturday of every month, except during rainy season.  The bazaar has a wide assortment of goods produced by various NGOs in the region. For those who don't know (I had to ask after all) NGO stands for Non-Governmental Organization. In other words they are not funded by the government and they are not for profit.  This bazaar showcases an array of  goods for sale which were made by the beneficiaries of the NGO. These sales generate the necessary revenue required to continue  their respective programs.  All of the crafts were produced by the beneficiaries of the NGOs such as leprosy patients, street kids, abandoned women and people living with disabilities.  The program teaches them skills that result in the crafts that made up this bazaar.

The bazaar is held at the Evangelical Church and it is a combination of inside and outside displays, hence the reasoning behind not holding it during rainy season.  August 31st  proved to be a bright, sunny day and a wonderful way to while away a morning.  It was a veritable United Nations of ferenji (foreigners). We heard German, Italian, Chinese, Eastern European, Hindi and of course native Amharic.  The crafts did not disappoint:  pottery, wool spun carpets, art work, jewelry, pillows, quilts, woven baskets, games, Ethiopian carvings, painted mirrors and wall plaques, vegetables, potted flowers, assorted baked goods and Ethiopian coffee beans.  More than enough to look at and buy for the crowds of ferenji who attended.

Paul and I had to make a few trips back to our car to store our "purchases".  It being our first bazaar I was interested in seeing everything.  We are still decorating our home and making it our own, so this bazaar provided some nice choices.  The pottery was just wonderful and we settled on an array of 3 pots.  I remember Patti always saying you should buy in threes.  They also had a display of smooth, polished pots, but Paul wisely advised that we could always buy more next month.  "Shopping restraint", hmmmm, interesting concept!  We checked out the linens and picked up pillows and pillow covers for our living room. We then moved on to look at some local art work.  Brookie you would fit in very nicely with your artistic talent.  We started talking to one artist, Abera and settled on 2 unframed watercolors. We also ordered a canvas acrylic painting. We have since picked up the finished painting and we were so pleased that we ordered two more canvas paintings.  We had the watercolors framed and they are now up on our walls.  


Clay pot trio.

Framed pic by Abera Getu

Framed pic by Abera Getu

Acrylic painting on canvas by Abera Getu

Pillow assortment or pic of Lexxie?  You be the judge.

Urn and stand we ordered at a store on Bole.  Wish I had some ringette sticks to put in it!

All in all a good day of shopping and there still lies the promise of more. Apparently, in addition to the monthly NGO Bazaar there is the German Christmas Bazaar, the Diplomat's Bazaar and the Artisans' Bazaar.  (sigh!) Hey if you think life has thrown you lemons, well geez, why not make lemonade? Shopping is what you make of it!

2 comments:

  1. This was my favourite post!! You have such writing sophistication and I loved reading your shopping sentiments. Allison and I had a good chuckle reading this over dinner. Your purchases are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi shopping bud,

    Sorry I have not kept up to speed with your blog but of course, the one about shopping got my eye. You're right, when in rome 'ADAPT'. I absolutely love the pictures and pottery you bought. The acrylic painting is my fav. Work is so busy and we currently have visitors from Germany once again. Do you plan on bringing it all back home - lol - what are your luggage weight restrictions!! I do miss my shoe buddy, its just not the same buying them by myself :) Sounds like you have settled in quite well and it is wonderful that you and Paul have all this 'US' time. Lookahead to retirement :) You are getting to experience so much more than a lot of us do and its great.

    ReplyDelete