Thursday 26 September 2013

Novel Concept: Home Insulation and Double and Triple Pane Windows

These are  natural processes in North America, however, relatively non-existent in Ethiopia.  Ethiopia may not experience the same climate extremes we in North America are accustomed to, but Ethiopia is not immune to "noise" and has some unique sounds to add to the mix.  Let me qualify that.  We are so insulated in our North American homes (especially in the winter and with air conditioning units blasting in the summer) that common noises that I am hearing here seem louder and yes, more annoying.  It's amazing how much one takes for granted the peace and quiet we enjoy at home simply by closing the front door and windows. Sure, some noise comes through, but not to the same extent if your home lacked insulation and the windows were of the one pane variety.  Do you know the expression:  "walls are paper thin?" Well let's just apply that thought to living here in Addis.  First off during the day because we live in a gated community the front door remains wide open all day.  So whether I am sitting in the family room or having a bite to eat in the dining room or I'm 1 level up in our home office or 2 levels up in our home gym, the general activity of the neighborhood is audible. But even if I close the front door it's the same level of noise activity. There's construction activity as two houses are going up across the street and down the street from us, or vendors going by calling out to announce in a monotone fashion the things they are selling (I'm guessing cuz I have no idea what they are actually saying), or cows or goats being herded past our gate on their way to the field, airplanes taking off or landing (airport is not too far away from our home), kids playing and calling out, dogs barking, numerous birds singing,  the odd truck or two rambling down our street and the beep, beep from the horns of cars asking for the gate to be opened.  It's life going on outside our gates, but typically at home I wouldn't have heard it because I was inside.  I don't mind the daytime noise, it's just part of the day's activity, but what I do mind is the activity I hear when I'm trying to sleep.  This is when I sorely miss my nicely insulated Canadian home with it's triple pane windows and R30 insulation.  In the early days of arriving in Ethiopia I suffered from the lingering affects of jet lag. At night I would lay awake and I could hear the planes, which is nothing new to me as planes regularly fly over 4 Greenpointe Drive. It is actually nice hearing the planes as it reminds me of home.  The other sounds I hear would normally have had no affect on me except it sounds like the noise is right inside our bedroom and it can't be easily ignored.  People walk by at all hours and their conversations (of course unintelligible) are loud, the cooing of birds (pigeons) are not soothing at 3 am, there is the buzz of crickets, etc and incessant dog barking.  Yes, of course these are sounds you would hear anywhere, but when you're trying to sleep?  Yup, just plain annoying!  But the single worst noise that I hate hearing, especially if I have had a restless night is the 5 AM  Call to Prayer.  I mean, seriously, this loud, bellowing chant is heard EVERY morning at 5 AM.  It goes on for around 10 minutes, sometimes longer.  Just long enough to wake you up.  Why do people have to be called?  They pray every morning and this Call is made no less than 5 times a day.  Sure do the other 4 times during waking hours for those slow learners, but spare us the 5 AM alert.  Pretty sure they were all on their way anyways, while the rest of us are trying to catch our last zzzzz's before the alarm goes.  I would take ALL the other noises, over this Call to Prayer.  I'm not sure if the reason behind my restless sleeps can all be attributed to our "paper thin walls", but I'm pretty sure it doesn't help.

Next step: ear plugs!

Planes are soothing noises

Pigeons: They are everywhere!

Even 1 can be too much.

Oh leaving?  What a great idea!
Hard to believe how noisy one bird can be!

Pigeons keeping an eye on construction.

Sure, sure, bring your friends.

Construction across the street.
What was that?  Did I hear something?

Let me just flap my ears, I'm sure I heard it!

3 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahahahahaah. Oh my gosh, I died lying at "goats herding." That sounds TERRIBLE! And obviously a 5am 10 minute alarm is not to be desired, you poor champ! I can totallllllly agree with you though ma, our windows are "double glazed" but in reality we can hear EVERYTHING through them. And I can feel the air coming through, cant wait to see how cold it gets in the winter haha. But more importantly, the noises. Kat and I can't tell who has it worse, her bedroom faces the inside of our building where our courtyard is and a kajillion kids that run around screaming in the morning/weekend afternoons, while my window faces the front of the house where I get cars and trains and busses, which isn't too bad but i also get THE DRUNKS. Our place is right by the train station and the quickest way to get to all the clubs, so starting from about 9pm-4am I can hear all of the laughing and screaming and singing almost every night of the week (although once im asleep i can usually sleep through it). Miss our Greenpointe days too where the only noise we ever listened to was WE GON PLAY STEEEEEEEEEEEEVE

    love you miss you mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: lexi's haircut is craaaazy! DO you miss our barrhaven people or WHAT. When/how did you find a groomer!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groomer? Baahaaaaa! We bought a Philips electric razor and I held Lexxie in place on top the red cooler we shipped here, while Paul did his "grooming thing." Not bad for our first attempt, but we should be experts by the end of our stay!! Not sure who misses Pam and her grooming skill more: Lexxie or Us??

      Delete