Friday 11 July 2014

Spending Time in Ethiopia

It's almost a year since I boarded a plane to come to Addis Ababa. I find it hard to believe how quickly time has passed. I recall Paul being some what anxious that I would come to Ethiopia and be bored or unhappy. To that sentiment I respond, "Who had time to be either"? I have enjoyed the past year and lived my experience abroad to the fullest.  I have kept myself active and engaged and it should come as no surprise to those who have kept up with my blog: busy!

I was only in Addis a couple of weeks when Paul forwarded me an email advertising for a English tutor.  I called the number and arranged to meet Elisabetta and her 4 year old daughter Anna. That meeting was the start of an almost 1 year tutoring gig with the brightest, most precocious child I could have imagined. What an opportunity to bring words to life through conversations, games, stories, coloring, and creative fun that can only stem from the imaginations of a  four year old and a young at heart 50 something. Anna and I enjoyed our time together and along the way I do believe her English improved.  Anna and her mum, Elisabetta will soon be moving to Geneva. Elisabetta will be working for the UN and Anna, I have little doubt, will be adding French to her language repertoire.  I will miss her, but will continue to relish the memories of the past year.

Munchkin Memories

M&Ms with Anna 

My Little Munchkin

Future Talents was another teaching opportunity that came my way during my first month in Ethiopia.While
still in Ottawa I established a teaching contact in Ethiopia when I noticed ESL teaching references on the Facebook page of 'What's Happening in Addis.' I forwarded my resume and promised to get in touch once I was settled. My contact then put me in contact with an administrator at the school Future Talents.  They were looking for an native English speaking teacher for pre-school, and 4 year old kindergarden.  Wow! Just like that I was in the position to be fully employed. The timing wasn't right as I wasn't ready to devote full time hours to such a structured and demanding teaching environment.  I was still learning the city, I didn't have my driver's license as yet and I didn't want to rule out travelling by being tied down to full time employment.  I declined the teaching offer and decided to remain with only tutoring Anna. I never once regretted my decision. In fact, in early May Future Talents called me again to ask if I was still interested in working with them. Who knows what the future holds, but it certainly is nice to have options.

So aside from tutoring Anna what else did I do to occupy my time? Well for all my loyal blog followers, you will have read that I have done a fair amount of travelling.  I've accompanied Paul to many parts of Ethiopia including Bahar Dar, Debre Libanos, Entoto Mountains, Dire Dawa, Jijiga, Sodo and Lake Langano.  I still hope to head North to witness evidence of  Ethiopia's rich  history in Aksum, Mekele and Lalibela, but that will have to wait, for now. I visited Allison in the UK and spent three wonderful weeks with Allison and Kat exploring the sights. Paul and I went on a four day weekend to shop for Christmas decorations amid the sights and splendour of Paris. An African safari in Tanzania with our children,Wayne and Jojo rounded out 2013. In May we took a 2 week vacation to Greece. An amazing opportunity to catch up with family and friends.  In two weeks time I will be travelling home to Ottawa for a 4 week visit.

In between travelling, tutoring and blogging I have enjoyed the simple pleasure of reading. When you're working life gets so busy, that there doesn't seem to be enough time to just sit back and read. I've enjoyed my Kobo immensely. The availability of online ebooks (free, as well as purchased ones) has afforded me endless hours of enjoyment.  One of my fondest memories of home was going to the cottage at Hay Lake where all of us would sit on the dock and indulge in our love for reading.  Now I have the time to indulge whenever I please.

During my time in Ethiopia I've also gained a greater appreciation and understanding of Paul's work. Paul has included me in his work by inviting me to accompany him on business trips and involving me in the editing of work documents. I love editing, probably as much as I love reading.  I just switch genres from fiction to a real-life appreciation of the incredible work SNSF (Safety Net Support Facility) is doing and accomplishing in Ethiopia. Whether I am editing manuals or real-life success stories, I feel I am helping bring clarity to the role SNSF plays in changing the lives of the disadvantaged in Ethiopia.

But even though I'm not technically 'working', I really look forward to late afternoon on a Friday. Nothing rivals the beginning of the weekend, regardless of your employment status. For me it marks the beginning of time off for Paul and our weekend together. Woot! A typical weekend includes groceries, running errands, attending Bazaars, shopping, playing tennis or golf and eating out. We've dined out with friends and hosted some get togethers of our own. While I enjoy all my time, I love the exclusivity of weekends. It's all about me and Paul and whatever comes our way.  Ooops, gotta go, Paul's home and the weekend has begun!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Ma! So many good memories and so much good traveling. Can you believe a year has passed since we've left? It feels like just yesterday! Time fliiiiiiiiiiies when you enjoy it.

    can't wait to see youuuu in ottawa YAY

    ReplyDelete